18 February 2010

Thoughts of Spring

With the sun shining bright, and some unseasonable warmth, a fellows thoughts can't help but turn to Spring...especially when that same fellow bought a pair of Kelly green cords two days ago:
I actually enjoy the Winter, and I find it a bit tiresome listening to everyone complain about it, especially considering that Winter as we knew it in my childhood no longer exists. Today was a nice day for February, about 40 degrees in the mid-afternoon, and sunny as ever. One can't help but feel happy on such a day.

I can't tell you how many people I saw today in flip flops and shorts. I don't know when it became acceptable to wear such things in February, anyway, regardless of the weather. Drives me mad. It's second only to people who go out in public wearing pyjamas. However, I see nothing wrong with a nod to the nice weather and a hint of things to come. I saw a few guys opting for lined Macs instead of overcoats. I saw some khaki and tweed combos. I wore green pants and yellow socks.

Despite popular opinion, there are modes of dress that sit between the overcoat and the bathing suit, and those can be the most fun of all.

9 comments:

Scott Alexander said...

I most certainly agree. Those cords a such a great find, this time of year. I've been reflecting your sentiment for awhile now. You'll then perhaps appreciate my recent posts at the Cable Knit Collegian. Thanks again for the inspiration.

http://thecableknitcollegian.blogspot.com

RVS said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

...surely depends on where the pyjamas are from ;-)

Sean said...

Flip flops and pajamas are nearly formal wear in Seattle.....

Young Fogey said...

I remember way, way back, when the Young Fogey was a mere stripling and was in his first year of matriculation at an institute of higher education, being appalled at the young ladies who determined that sweat pants and sweat shirts--gym attire--were somehow appropriate for wearing to class.

I guess I've always been a fogey.

Your outfit is kind of an inverted daffodil--very springy.

TheOldRoad said...

I actually sported some khaki and tweed myself the other day... I sadly, however, do not have any green pants...

@Young Fogey As a current attendee at such an institution, I must say I share this sentiment. Also, leggings are not pants!

Andrew M. said...

that color combination, to me, says "John Deere"

I like it.

Christina, Esq. said...

I talked my husband into a pair of green pants on sale at J.crew last fall, though he resisted at the time, he now looks for any occasion to wear his kelly green bottoms. Nice choice.

www.WearingWhiteAfterLaborDay.com

Young Fogey said...

TheOldRoad,

Do they at least have the modesty to wear a skirt or something on top of the leggings, or are they flaunting their buttocks to the world?